Monday, November 06, 2006

Chihuly Glass
















I remember the first time I saw Dale Chihuly's work. It was a full-color spread in a Chicago newspaper, announcing the opening of his 2001 exhibit in Garfield Park. It took my breath away. I'd never seen anything like it.


Chihuly does with glass what Stevie Ray Vaughn did with a guitar. "Virtuoso" is the word that comes to mind. Descriptive, accurate, it will do for the artist--but does nothing to convey the art itself. For that, only experience will do.
















I never did see the Garfield Park exhibit: a job offer took me waaay out of town (upper peninsula of Michigan) before I had a chance. And if you're in New York, you've just missed his exhibit at the New York Botanical Garden.

I'll also never get to hear Stevie Ray play live. But at some point Chahuly has got to exhibit in Toledo, Ohio. He's got to.

Right?

tags:

3 comments:

DirkStar said...

I've been to several of his shows and although I do like some of his pieces I just don't see his work surviving the test of time... I just think he is trendy....

http://jestersrap.blogspot.com/

Dzeni said...

That last graphic is simply amazing. At first glance, it looks like blue flamingos and only on closer inspection does one realize that it isn't.

Anonymous said...

The photos are quite amazing, and I do hope you get your wish to see his pieces live! Some day!)))))))))))