Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Lily van der Stokker























Lily van der Stokker is a Dutch artist who does work such as this:


















and this:

















and, occasionally, this:













Ms. van der Stokker is highly controversial in the art world. Critics argue whether her work celebrates girlish doodles, mocks them, or celebrates them by mocking them. They write page upon page questioning whether she is worthy of our attention.

Ms. van der Stokker seems to keep them guessing. One the one hand, she makes statements such as, "Where is it written that art has to be deep and good? Can't it just be bad, or nice and cheerful?" On the other, there are pieces such as the one above, which she sent as an invitation to a showing of her work.

As for me, I like her work tremendously. I love buildings covered with doodley flowers in their own right.

(As for me, I really had to post the picture of Viktor and Rolf.)

tags:


No comments: