Monday, January 08, 2007

Scott Klinker Product Design

This has been the best kind of web surfing morning--the kind where every link took me somewhere delightful! I'll be sharing more from this wonderful journey in the next little while, but let's start here:






















What on earth? (Or should I say "What in the galaxy?")
The icon vending machine is like a photo booth, but combines a large format 3D scanner and a 3D printer to produce mini models of a very personal subject: you! You become the product. To prove it, Scott was scanned and printed into the first prototype product.
Beam me up, Scotty! The 'Scott' in question here, though, is designer Scott Klinker, best known perhaps for his design of The Spaceframe Sculpture Kit for Offi. (Did you kow tha Offi also offers a more affordable version, also designed by Klinker, called the YooDo? Neither did I, my friends, neither did I.)


But check this out:
While living in Japan for two years, Scott designed a series of pieces influenced by traditional Japanese architecture. These combined the warmth of traditional materials (wood, tatami) with a modern flexibility.


The word we want here, my friends, is versatile.

tags:


No comments: